Monday, February 18, 2013

Davis and the Jackets Are Swarming Across the River



 This time of year in high school basketball, focus and vision for the state title and the opportunity to play at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina, is the main priority. And this is exactly what is taking place across the river as North Augusta High School advances further in the state playoffs.

 North Augusta finds themselves as the last 8 standing in the Class 4AAAA State Tournament when they travel to Sumter High School on Tuesday night at 7:00. Winner advances to the Final Four to face the winner of Goose Creek and Ridgeview in Florence, South Carolina.

 The North Augusta folks are ecstatic, the 6th man (The Yellow Jacket Student Section) is chirping, and the team is rolling with momentum on a current 7 game winning streak. But in the back of everyone’s mind there is focus and determination, especially in the North Augusta Locker Room.

 To lighten the anxieties and fully grasp the excitement across the river in South Carolina, I have sat down with North Augusta’s Junior Shooting Guard Christian Davis for a further look at the Yellow Jacket squad and there preparation for Tuesday’s night game at 7:00 at Sumter High School.

1. ABR Live Reporter-Zach: If I was to ask your teammates who Christian Davis was, how would they describe you?

 Christian: Hardworking and Energetic— A lot of clapping and physical defense!

2. Zach: Who would you say the vocal leader on your team is?

 Christian: Our Senior Captains: Tavarez Hall and T.J. Sheppard

3. Zach: Who on your team is always joking in the Locker Room and on the Bus?

 Christian: Robert Morgan and Malik Dunbar are always goofing off and keeping the entire team laughing, even through the playoffs. It’s a good mix.

4. Zach:  First to fall asleep on the bus?

 Christian: Dexter Simmons gets caught slippin’ on most road games and usually finds himself in many pictures afterwards. 

5. Zach: Sing in the shower or bus?

 Christian: Senior Captain Tavarez Hall


6. Zach: Is that so? Well rumor has it you sing a mean Alicia Keys. Tell me about that?

 Christian: For my church I was asked to do an intro video. They told me to play the part of singing in the shower and the first song that had been stuck in my mind all day was Alicia Keys with the lyrics “This Girl is on Fire…” and that was the end of my music career.

7. Zach: Enough with the embarrassment. How would you describe the Yellow Jacket faithful student section?

 Christian: They have been incredible, especially during the Richland Northeast victory last week. I’ve never experienced anything like that before. We were down by nearly 20 and they stuck through and fought with us through the comeback. When the clock expired they stormed the court with us, it was incredible, and thankfully I never fell down amongst the pile of students and players! They are our 6th man!

8. Zach: Would you rather make a big steal and a layup or consecutive 3’s?

 Christian: I would definitely go with a big steal and layup. It’s a complete play: tough defense and offense.

9.  Zach: What does a typical game day look like for you?

 Christian: School, relax, and usually enjoy a Kickin Chickin Sandwich from Zaxby’s or one of my mom’s classic Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches. Then I head to the locker room and read through my Bible. Lately my brother Austin, who plays at Olivet-Nazarene University, sends me some scriptures to keep on my heart. Colossian 3:23, Philippians 4:13, and Psalm 56:3 reminds me that I am not my own and I am playing for the Lord first and foremost. Then we hit the hardwood.

10. Zach: Any rumors on what Sumter has?

 Christian: I witnessed them at Lake Marion during the Christmas Tournament when they lost to Westside (GA) in the championship game. We are looking forward to a great competitive game.


11. Zach: If you could give the pregame speech tomorrow what would you say to your team?

 Christian: I would speak directly to the seniors and encourage them to take leadership with the upmost intensity and battle throughout the entire game until the clock expires. Leave it all on the court!

Zach: Seven game winning streak and aiming for the Final Four in Class 4AAAA State Tournament. Good luck Christian to you and your team and I am looking forward to covering the game Tuesday night.

Sincerely,

ZWILLY

No comments:

Post a Comment