Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wildcats Make Statement With A Rally Late

"It ain't over, until it's over." -- Yogi Berra

Laney 53 Dublin 50

With a little less than four minutes left on the game clock, The Laney Wildcats found themselves in a trench down by 8 to The Dublin Fighting Irish. A game that was once neck and neck consisting of many lead changes began favoring Dublin late in the 3rd period. Dublin began spreading the court, creating many open lanes for passes in the paint to advance there lead to nearly double digits with less than four minutes remaining. With this late Dublin run led by Sawquan Floyd (15 points) and Jacori Payne (9 points), Laney was in desperate need for a momentum swing if they wanted a chance to play in the Region 3AA Tournament Championship on Saturday night.

Laney recieved just that! #5 Zephaniah Jasper took a pass from the corner behind the arc and launched a three in the face of a Dublin defender to pull the game within 5 points. Dublin answered in return with an easy pass down low for the lay in with three minutes remaining. Laney again fired another three from Senior leader #3 Mike Lewis to pull within 3 points. Then the Laney Wildcats stepped up and forced back to back turnovers to regain the lead for the first time since early in the second half.

Dublin forced the ball down the court with under 20 seconds remaining trailing by three and #14 Quinton Burger threw up a prayer from behind the arc and drained it but Head Coach Paul Williams called a timeout nearly a second before the shot was released. The goal was waved off and the Fighting Irish were unable to score falling to the Laney Wildcats 53-50. Laney was lead by Freshman Sensation Zephaniah Jasper with 20 points.

Laney faces Westside in a must-see battle Saturday night in the Region 3AA Tournament Championship Game at Laney High School at 6:30.

At  3:30, Dublin finds themselves in a tough contest with a young Harlem team fighting for third place in the Region 3AA Tournament.



No comments:

Post a Comment