Monday, November 12, 2012

Stroman & Hopkins: Keenan's Dangerous Duo

Tonight we continue posting as much information and highlights as possible about the unofficial "first weekend" of the high school basketball season in, and beyond, the greater Augusta area.  ABR Live was present Saturday (November 10) at Evans High School for the Hoops preview scrimmage games, featuring some of Georgia and South Carolina's finest basketball programs.  And we also observed a tournament of a different kind, the Crusader Classic in Ludowici, Georgia, featuring some of the southeast's finest "prep school" and independent school teams.  Here we post stories and highlights from both events!


I tweeted live from the Hoops Preview that Keenan High's Marcus Stroman and Eric Hopkins is the "most dangerous backcourt combo I've seen."  Because Hopkins is not considered by many as a "high major" guard, I would anticipate some saying that my comment is silly.  For example, my partner and friend Will Avery often calls Tift County's Tadric Jackson and Brannon Greene the best backcourt in Georgia.  So I assume he would take issue with my assessment of Keenan's combo.

But I have two responses to any doubters:

1)  I haven't seen Jackson play!  So even if he and Greene, who will soon be a Kansas Jayhawk, are a superior duo, my statement remains sound plausible.
2)  I base my reasoning on getting the job done on the court today.  And this duo certainly gets the job done!

The Raiders sport a combined record of 72-14, including two state championships, during the past three seasons.  And during the 3rd quarter of Saturday's scrimmage versus the formidable Morgan County Bulldogs (featured here), Keenan's guards led a furious comeback to erase a double digit deficit and eventual secure the win.

Hopkins is a great shooter who can get hot fast.  And Stroman, a future South Carolina Gamecock, is a true point guard who does absolutely everything needed to make his teammates better and to help his team win.  And "everything" includes pouring in the points, as he did in another of Saturday's scrimmages, which we will get to very soon (TEASER!).

No comments:

Post a Comment